Articles in the Crochet category
The rug is done.
Actually, it has been done for a while now but blocking, drying and written up a pattern took up a bit of time. Although the pattern was inspired by The Nine Sided Kitchen Mat I soon came to realize that I was creating a new entity. Adding in an extra side was only a start. After a number of people showed interest in the project on Ravelry, I decided to write up a pattern so people can make their own sock yarn rugs. I can’t be the only person with this much leftover sock yarn.
The final rug came in at 137cm (54”) in diameter and weighs a whopping 2.33kg (5.14 pounds). Estimating that my average skein was around 410m (448yds) per 100g, that works out to approximately 9553m (10447yds). In other words, this is a brillant stashbusting project for avid sock knitters and sock yarn hoards alike.
I’m really chuffed with this piece. It is soft and squishy, perfect for my little baby boy to play on. He seems quite pleased, too.
We’ve moved it into his room where is just fits under his cot bed. You can see the little quilt on bed that inspired this idea in the first place. I think they work really well together.
The rug is so big, I actually had to stand outside his bedroom window to get that shot, and I still didn’t get the whole rug in the frame.
The pattern is available as a free Ravelry download, and contains instructions on achieving the colour gradients, rough size guidelines, as well as other helpful tips I learned along the way whilst making this project. Of course, you could also make the rug using a random selection of sock yarn, too. Make it your own, and enjoy the squishy sock rug goodness for yourself.
Details: Sock Yarn Rug by Chriss Coleman
Yarn: Various leftovers, totalling 2.33kg or approx. 9553m
Hook size: 8mm (L)
Size: 137cm (54”) from side to side
Started: March 15th, 2012
Finished: March 19th, 2012
Over on the Stash Knit Down the idea of knitting large amounts of yarn started brewing. A decision was reached that the goal would be to knit 12,000 yards of yarn in 6 weeks. Per participant. Teams were later also declared a viable option for those for who hadn’t lost all their marbles. We are calling it the Mad Dash.
I signed up as a solo participate. Yes. It’s official. The men with the funky white jackets will be here shortly.
At first I didn’t think I’d be able to make the goal, but then it all started sounding more and more reasonable, mostly thanks to my first Mad Dash project which is made out of my sock yarn scraps.
Let me introduce you to my Magic Carpet Ride.
It’s 8 strands of sock yarn held together and crocheted into a decagon using half double crochet (US term). I originally found a pattern for a nonagon rug (also Rav linky ), but the 9 sided thing just wasn’t working with my gauge. It kept curling into a bowl. I added in an extra side and everything fell into place.
I’m currently just shy of 500g through my rug, or about 25% done. Not bad for the first day. It is amazing how quickly this it crocheting up. It is already approximately 2 feet (60cm) wide.
More photos to follow in the next few days. I need to get back to the madness.
After enjoying some time to lay back and put my feet up, I though I should finally get around to sharing my last finished object of 2011.
A long, long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I started making a crochet potted flower for my daughter. I got as far as getting all the flowers and leaves crocheted and then ran into a problem — I need a pot. Preferably a non-breakable pot. And preferably a pot that would work with the colour scheme of her room. Two years later, I found said pot and then packed it away in preparation to move.
In December, after finishing my A to Z series of socks, I started pulling out my WIPs and UFOs, seeing what I could finishing (or frog) before year’s end. I pulled out the flowers and realised how little work was left on them. Over the course of a day I assembled the flowers, crochet them into the lawn/grass, and then started unventing the soil.
My pot was a different shape than the one in the pattern, and I thought that the soil shape should reflect the shape of the pot. Thanks to all the crochet I’ve learnt from making assorted amigurumi, I was able to crochet up something that fit perfectly.
Although the rest of the potted plant was made using DK yarn and a 3.5mm hook, for the soil I decided to hold two strands DK yarn together and use a 5mm hook. It worked perfectly and I love how the two different colours of brown work together and give the soil a little more depth. And yes, I know that I put all that thought and work into a part of the plant that will never be seen, but then again I knit lovely handdyed sock yarn and I knit that into intricate patterns and then hide in boots. I know it is there, that is all that matters.
The potted plant is stuffed firmly enough that it even stands on its own.
I’m really chuffed with the final results, and I’m really chuffed that it is finally finished and on display in Thing 1’s room.
Started: March 24, 2009 (yeah, I know…)
Finished: December 30, 2011
Pattern: Flower Pot by MyGurumi
Yarn: Assorted acrylic and acrylic blends
Stuffing: Fibrefill, and gardening wire to support and shape the stems of the flowers
Size: 15” tall (38cm)
My Ravelry project page.
I really love how this turned out. It’s a beautiful pattern that I found to be well written and easy to follow. I wouldn’t hesitate a moment to use another pattern from this designer.