Category: Project Spectrum
Articles in the Project Spectrum category
I been quite quiet in my participation in this year’s Project Spectrum for various reasons. After last year’s Project Spectrum:Elements series, a series I was completely enthralled with, I honestly didn’t know if anything could top it or even come close. However, in the end I decided to go for it and work along the themes. There’s something about the Project Spectrum series I really like. It’s probably the colours.
I’ll likely be a bit more vocal abouth the remaining directions, but I’d at least like to share what I’ve done for North, this being the last day for that direction.
Photos from left to right, starting in the top row:
1. Fyberspates Fairy Wool laceweight
2. Looking north (Jesmond Dene)
3. Thyme growing in our window (from seed)
4. My daughter playing football
5. Handspun Merino/silk I did for Sophie’s birthday
6. Wetland Wildlife Trust (Washington, Tyne & Wear)
7. Summer sock in progress
8. Laminaria in progress
9. Summer sock finished
I’m quite pleased with what I’ve done given my passive approach to this year’s Project Spectrum and although Laminaria is not finished, I think I’ve managed quite a bit over the past two of months.
… and on my feet. In fact, I’ve been wearing them for the last couple of hours and they feel quite lovely. Hopefully going down the needles size is going to do the trick.
Pattern: Basic 64 stitch top down sock with heel flap and gusset
I wear a size 9UK and still have 54 gams leftover. I can make a second pair… once I see how these wear. :)
My Primavera socks came off the needles last week and they’ve already been lovingly worn since blocking.
I really enjoyed knitting these. I loved the pattern. I loved the yarn. I loved the colourway. I didn’t even mind that I had knit them on 2mm needles (what was I thinking??), that’s how much I enjoyed knitting them.
Pattern: Primavera socks (on Ravelry ) by S(t)ockinette
Yarn: Stroud Supersock from Violet Green in the Burnt Orange colourway
Mods: I increased the number of pattern repeats by two and deacrease a purl stitch in each repeat. I would have loved to have knit them as written, but the sock just wasn’t going to go over my heel. I also had some 2mm needles going spare….
I started a new pair of socks today (which means my previous socks are blocking and a FO report should appear in a couple of days). These are for my husband. I love him dearly, but I really don’t like this colourway… actually I just have issues with yellow, but that’s not really his fault. What do I expect with a colourway named wasp?
This is the progress after I had ripped them out for the 4th time:
They are actually coming along nicely now, and they are creating a kind of spiraling effect on the leg… at least this is what is happening on the first sock.
I’ll add pattern details when there is actually enough knitting to see there is really a pattern, but I’m hoping to get these done for the end of the month so they can be included in the Project Spectrum fire category.
Meanwhile, I’ve already planned out the next two socks for Earth which will start on April 1st. One pair for me, one pair for the boy. There is also at least one jumper project planned out. :)
This is my absolute favourite bridge (out of the seven) that cross the Tyne at Newcastle. Isn’t it cute?
I was on a Project Spectrum kick today, so I also took a few other red/fire type shots including a lamp post:
and my Valentine merino handspun:
This is the first skein of my second handspun. The other skeins were definitely more evenly spun and plied, but they weren’t dry when I had sunlight. This handspun is going to become a scarf and hopefully some matching mitts/wristwarmers.
I actually finished these a couple of weeks ago, but thought I might get a second pair in before the end of the month. Didn’t happen (the new spinning wheel might have had something to do with that).
Nice quick knit and one of my project spectrum (fire) projects.
I’ve had several finished objects come off the needles in the past few days, so I thought I really should get them up on the blog. One of those objects is a hat to match the little mitts I posted yesterday.
Pattern: Ruffled Baby Hat
Yarn: Jaeger Matchmaker Merino DK
Size: 3 to 6 months-ish
I think she likes it. :)